KnitSpeak

A blog specifically set up to record Knitters' abbreviations, acronyms and commonly used terms. Please feel free to comment or suggest additions, etc. Also includes a list of general net speak.

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Tari's Photo (Frogging It!)


Many thanks to Tari for allowing me to use the wonderful photo below which humorously illustrates the term "to frog" This is what Tari says on her blog. "With the Birch finished, I return to the Mermaid. I would have preferred to show some progress on this, but I had to face the unpleasant fact that the upsizing of needles was a mistake. I have no idea why I didn't stick with the original needles, I even made a swatch. Again I run into the problem of too loose stitches, and with a garter stitch pattern like this, loose stitches look really bad (it looks way better in the picture than it does in real life). Can you see the look of anticipation on that frog's face?"


I think we can all identify with the frustration of having to frog something that we've worked hard on. Hope it all goes well now, Tari, and thanks for being such a sport. Yours is the first photo to enter the competition and, if yours is judged the best, you may soon be the proud owner of a skein of Hip knits silk! Any more takers?

2 Comments:

  • At 10:28 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    I LOVE the pic! How about including some definitions of those terms that are different in the US and the UK. Here are some to start you off:
    cast off (UK) - bind off (US).
    stocking stitch (UK) - stockinette stitch (US).
    moss stitch (UK) - seed stitch (US).

    Anybody got any more? And also does anyone know which other countries use which version - eg Australia, elsewhere in Europe?

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger Daisy said…

    SABLE - I decided to do some Maths! Using the Life Expectancy Calculator (http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/interactivearea/living_100.shtml)
    I discovered that mine is 89.2, which means I have 63.3 years left (assuming I don't meet an untimely end under a bus). At the moment I'm using up about 200g of yarn a week, so I have 3292 weeks left, and will need to have more than 6583kg of yarn to exceed my life expectancy. Hmm. Haven't got QUITE that much yet, but what a good excuse for stash enhancement!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home